Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Let the Players Divide their XP like their GP?

Wanted the PCs in my campaign to gain XP lvls a bit quicker; we don't play often enough to advance much, so I changed XP req. for level advancement from Ad&D1st to Labyrinth Lord.  I've retained AD&D's Monster XP values, and treasure is worth 1XP/GP, so we're moving quicker now.

Still, I just don't like the idea of getting XP simply for acquiring a magic item, I suppose for "aesthetic reasons"... isn't the Item itself enough of a reward?  Suppose that's entirely subjective, but it's my campaign, and I like it my way!

Considering requiring the Party to "spend" their GP to get the XP.  During summarized periods between adventures, it will be assumed to have been spent on research, weapon instruction, etc.  This will allow the Players the option to spend some, or all, of their share on goods &/or level advancement, which I thought would be fun for them, and would also allow for the fun of getting big money every once in a while, but would likely prevent them from becoming walking cash machines...

Also considering the idea of turning the Total XP gained for adventure over to the players; rather than dividing it equally among the PC's, I'll just say, "The party  has a total of 15,000 XP and 2,500 GP - How do you want to split it?"  Will they decide to allow the Cleric a little extra XP so he can get that better Cure Spell, or perhaps the Wizard, needing more XP to advance, will get a larger share...?  Personally, I'd look to see if everyone could level-up, and split any XP leftovers equally, or perhaps assign leftovers according to need, or maybe as "bonuses" for one thing or another (see also here). 
Interesting experiment?  I'll let ya know what happens.

No comments: